PADI Tec Sidemount Instructor
The Technical Sidemount Instructor qualification enables you to compliment wreck, cavern and cave programs with another approach to equipment configuration, enabling divers to penetrate diving areas not accessible to divers using backmounted gear.
In recent years the configuration has grown in popularity with open water divers who see advantages with increased mobility, ease of equipment transportation, and reduced physical strain during entries and exits.
This course differs from the Recreational Sidemount course in that it addresses decompression tank configuration, decompression motor skill adaptations for sidemount, and sidemount decompression strategy.
The diver course covers the following topics, we address teaching these in the instructor course. We will spend time in both confined and open water practicing how to teach the motor skills of technical sidemount diving.
- Benefits of Sidemount.
- Basic Single Cylinder Sidemount Configuration
- Basic Two Cylinder Sidemount Configuration
- The main components of a sidemount rig.
- Sidemount harness and BCD systems.
- Cylinders and cylinder configurations.
- Regulators and regulator configuration for sidemount.
- Weight systems and options.
- Donning and wearing a typical two-cylinder sidemount rig.
- Tec Diving Two Cylinder Sidemount
- Sidemount entries.
- Proper trim in sidemount.
- Exits in sidemount.
Before attending the course students are required to have a medical screening by a licensed physician, you will need to present the course director a signed medical clearance form before any training.
1. Be a renewed PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (or a PADI Instructor with a higher rating).
2. Be a PADI Enriched Air Instructor, or have successfully completed a PADI Enriched Air Instructor training course.
3. Be a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor, or have successfully completed a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor training course.
4. Have a minimum of 100 logged dives, of which at least 20 dives were made with enriched air nitrox, 25 dives were deeper than 18 meters and at least 15 dives were deeper than 30 meters.
5. Be a Tec 45 Diver (or have a qualifying certification from another training organization).
After successfully completing the intructor training course, prior to sending in the Tec Sidemount Instructor application, the candidate must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a PADI Tec Instructor (or TecRec Instructor with a higher rating).
2. Be a PADI Tec Sidemount Diver (or have a qualifying certification from another training organization).
3. Have logged at least 20 technical sidemount dives including 10 with three or more cylinders (two mains and at least one stage/deco cylinder).
4. Have successfully completed the Tec Sidemount Instructor Training course.
You will need a copy of the PADI Tec Sidemount Instructor guide, we can provide this at cost, or you can bring your own copy.
The cost of the PADI Tec Sidemount Instructor course is 22,500 PHP, this includes all training and dives, not included is the instructor manual, and the PADI application fee. Please ask us for up to date costs when booking.
We have a limited number of twin bed fan dormitory rooms for 2500 PHP per person, per week. These come with a kitchenette and bathroom, simple backpacker style.
If you prefer something else we work with a number of local resorts and hotels, or you might like to check services like, AirBNB we can help with local information if needed.
A typical hotel room starts from 1500 per night and up, the average would be around 2000 PHP. A typical self service monthly rental room or studio from 10,000 PHP and up, the average around 15000 PHP per month.
See here for more information on accommodation.
Contact the Course Director as early as possible, we can only accept a limited number of students on to each program, it is wise to book your preferred date in advance.
Please provide as much of the following information as possible when you book.
Total number of dives you have done
Number of dives you have done on sidemount
Number of decompression dives you have done
How long you have been diving
Any significant gaps in your diving
What equipment you will need