Your Instructor Development Course starts with independent online study through PADI’s e-learning program, this allows you to properly prepare yourself for the next step at a pace that suits you. Once done you will attend several classroom sessions with the Instructor Development Team, and several confined water, and open water sessions. Expect to be challenged, it’s a tough course, but it will prepare you to tackle the final element with confidence, the PADI Instructor Exam is typically a two day event run by PADI staff, at the end of which, you will be a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor!
Comparing all of the different dive centers, the different locations, and all of the package options is confusing enough, so we’ll try and make it as simple as possible. If you find the same offer advertised for cheaper nearby, let us know, we will match any offer we can verify. Now, with the worry of paying too much out of the way, you can relax and focus on finding the best course for you.
We cannot guarantee you will pass, no one can, so don’t buy into promises that tell you any different. We are very confident that our courses provide you with the best chance possible to not only succeed at the PADI Instructor Exams, but also to start teaching scuba diving safely and with confidence. Throughout every IDC the course director provides criteria-based feedback on your progress, at the end of each program we will give you an honest evaluation, if you or the course director do not feel confident going forward you may attend the next IDC with no additional charges, and in the very unlikely event you are unsuccessful on any of the Instructor Exam modules we can provide additional training for no cost until you are ready to try again, we are invested in your success!
We offer training through our bases with Dive Moalboal in the Philippines, and with DiveStyle in the UK, packages vary slightly between the two locations so please use the tables below for comparison, if you have any questions at all do not hesitate to get in touch with us via the contact page, or any of the social media options found on the top and bottom of this page.
It is expected that your diving skills are at least up to the same standard that was required for a pass on your Divemaster course, any difficulties with inwater skills will make the IDC and IE unnecessarily stressful, we will ask you to participate in a skills evaluation prior to the IDC starting which you must pass in order to progress, if you have any concerns about your inwater ability let us know, we can arrange some development sessions for you. You must also complete all the assigned e-learning tasks prior to the IDC starting, and be familiar with the dive theory topics Physics, Physiology, RDP, General Skills and Environment, and Equipment, if you need a brush up on any of these please let us know as early as possible.
PADI Instructor Development Course Prerequisites
- Dive Leader certification — PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization* who is either
- an instructor member in good standing, or
- a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management including proof of rescue diving certification; 60 logged dives to enroll on the IDC (100 logged dives to enroll on the IE); documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.
- 18 years old
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months.
- Certified diver for six months.
- EFR Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment.
- Submit documentation of qualifying certifications for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level, as necessary.
Exit Requirement for all candidates
You must be a certified First Aid and CPR instructor, with an agency recognized by PADI. We offer the Emergency First Response Course to meet this requirement. If you are already certified as a First Aid and CPR instructor please let us know, there will be a price adjustment needed for your IDC package.